Friday, December 17, 2010

Marriage... why???

Marriage is a social union or legal contract between people that creates kinship. People marry for many reasons, including one or more of the following: legal, social, emotional, economical, spiritual, and religious. These might include arranged marriages, family obligations, the legal establishment of a nuclear family unit, the legal protection of children or public declaration of commitment.
Of all the above reasons as to why people would want to marry the one that intrigues me the most is 'public declaration of commitment.'
Why is it that we feel the need to showcase our commitment to our love to the world by the legal binding of a marriage; it makes me wonder.
Do we really get married just to ask permission from the world for living together and sharing the same bed?
If that is so then why do we consider our wedding day as the most important day of our lives and spends millions just on that one day if its just a matter of taking permission. By that logic the day you fell in love and decided to spend the rest of your life with each other should be celebrated with a greater pomp and joy.
But the rationale that goes into making the wedding day a big show off is show off - show off to the society and to the world at large about the most expensive jewellery, clothes, food, flowers, etc. because after all marriage is for everyone except for the bride and the groom themselves. I don't think any bride and the groom themselves have enjoyed their own wedding.If you do come across any couple who did please do let me know. I'd like to ask them the way in which they did it so that i could follow the lead and enjoy my own wedding too.
But then if it were in my hand I would never get married to the person i'v chosen to spend the rest of my life with. I'd rather spend all the money I save on a world tour with him.
And as a matter of fact it's not even about the money. I think trying to bind a beautiful relationship which is formed with the golden thread love with the shackles of legality is an insult to that love. I think my love for him is above a contractual agreement. It doesn't need a marriage certificate to survive for eternity.
If you truly love someone and both know that you are made for each other and are going to be together for eternity come what may then why the need to declare to the world using a microphone. If you can just declare it to each other thats enough.
A friend once asked me how can u trust someone so much that he will stay with you for the rest of your life without a legal obligation to do so. And my answer to her was,'how can u trust your husband that he won't divorce you and marry someone else even after being legally attached to you.'
If people are meant to go, they are just meant to. No legal barrier can tie them.
I think the sooner people realize this fact, the easier it will be for them to realise the importance of trust.
My cousin told me the other day that she never wants to get married. Her answer to me when i asked her the reason for it was that she doesn't believe in it. People separate eventually anyway so then why make such a show about the union. This is when i told her the importance of trust. Nobody will force to get married and you don't have to if you don't want to but that doesn't mean that we stop finding love. We should trust ourselves with finding that perfect partner for ourselves and live with each other for eternity bound only with that golden lining called love and not the black thread of obligation.

No comments:

Post a Comment